Artificial intelligence has revolutionized the world of copywriting and is turning it on its head. You’ve heard of them… those seemingly magical, instant content-producing tools that are popping up everywhere, making for a very crowded landscape.
- AI Writer
- Article Forge
And on, and on, and on…
New ones seemingly crop up each week, although most are anchored on the reigning robot, ChatGPT.
The buzz is real; they are starting to take a toe-hold in business and causing panic among mediocre copywriters everywhere. These tools will no doubt forever change the copywriting landscape, and are here to stay. By starting with a carefully, thoughtfully worded prompt, you can generate your own headlines, emails, phrases, ads, blogs, even lead magnets and more – in an instant.
Why Are AI Tools So Popular?
With the advent of AI copywriting tools, creating engaging and high-quality content has become easier and more efficient. What once required a highly skilled and trained copywriter now can be mostly done using one of these tools. We’ll address that “mostly” elephant in the room a little later.
What are the pros and cons of AI writing tools?
- Readily accessible, many having a free or trial option
- Output results are great starting points for final copy
- Helps overcome writer’s block, when you can’t even get started
- Output is instant and yours to use as you like
- It’s a blank canvas for you to color with your product or service personality
- Output tends to be more generic, lacking specific brand voice or personality
- Google will no doubt be flagging and penalizing pure AI-generated content (!)
- To maximize benefits of any of these tools, you will need to pay to play
- No guarantee that output will be accurate (‘cause, shocker, not everything on the Internet is accurate!)
- You have to know what prompt to enter to generate a decent output – it can go wrong very easily
The question you may be asking is, “So smarty Ninjas, what are some of the best AI tools to use?”
Here are the top 5 AI copywriting tools for 2023 that you should consider for your business or personal use:
The current “belle of the ball,” ChatGPT is all the buzz, and is creating both excitement and panic at a seemingly exponential rate. Designed to interact with natural language, one of the big benefits is the ability to enter follow-up questions or prompts to refine and expand on the output you receive. Again, the trick is knowing what prompt to use to get the output most closely aligned to your copy goal.
ChatGPT is an open source tool, which many of the most popular AI tools are built on, so you’ll be able to recognize this interface flexibility and fluidity almost immediately. At times it will seem scary “smart” in the output it returns, and others, the generic or forced output will need a lot of refining and editing.
For now you can use the tool for free when you create an account, but a recently released Premium model offers speed and access advantages for a still bargain price of $20/month, no doubt beaconing the popularity and demand for this powerful disruptor.
ChatGPT makes no pretense to hide their flaws, outlining their own limitations as a caution for all:
- “Plausible sounding but nonsensical or incorrect” output
- Sensitivity: A very slight tweak in prompt can dramatically influence output
- Output may be needlessly wordy
- Can only guess what you want, no ability to ask follow-up or clarifying questions
- Output may be harmful or biased, despite developers best attempts to prevent this from happening
Jasper (formerly Jarvis) is one of the most popular AI writing tools that is great for most any of your copywriting needs, from ads to blogs to emails to website copy. It is an AI-powered writing assistant that helps you create high-quality, SEO-friendly content.
It uses machine learning algorithms to analyze your input and generates content that is optimized for search engines.
- Easy-to-use, natural language interface
- Web browser extension (Chrome for now, sorry Safari users!)
- Generate content in 29 languages
- Plagiarism detector
- Keyword analyzer (Surfer SEO integration)
- So how does Jasper work?
Jasper offers two pricing options: Starter mode is $29/month for 20,000 words and Boss mode is $59/month for 50,000 words.
This AI copywriting tool uses natural language processing and machine learning algorithms to generate high-quality, compelling content. Its intuitive interface allows you to quickly create blog posts, emails, social media captions, web copy, and other types of content in seconds. In fact, you get over a hundred templates with which to generate copy.
CopyAI also has a feature that lets you focus on your target readers, making it a great marketing AI writing software. In addition to the content generator, Copy.ai offers a library of free content templates to use. With a collaborative-friendly interface, this is a great tool for teams.
There is both a free version that you can use without requiring a credit card, or a Pro version for $36/month. More robust needs will be met by their Enterprise level.
Writesonic is an AI writing tool that helps users generate marketing copy, product descriptions, social media posts, and more. It uses GPT-3 and other machine learning algorithms to suggest content based on a brief provided by the user.
You can choose from a variety of copy needs, and depending on what you choose (blog, email, headline, ad, etc.), you will be prompted to enter a starting point by answering the appropriate questions. When selecting your plan, however, note you can opt for different quality levels of output. Hmmm.
- Paraphrasing tool
- Surfer SEO integration
- Text expander
- Article summarizer
- Sonic editor
- Ads, emails, blogs, etc. – you know, the usual
With a custom plan available for power users, most will find the free plan or the sliding scale Long Form plan (choose-your-own-adventure-type pricing, starting at just over $12/month) to suit most needs.
QuillBot is an AI writing tool that helps to rephrase and rewrite text. It has gained popularity due to its unique features and ability to generate high-quality content.
- A powerful paraphrase tool (7 modes strong!) works on sentences and paragraphs, perfect for when avoiding the dreaded plagiarism label and creating original content.
- Translate text into 30+ languages, perfect for taking your business across the pond and beyond.
- Thesaurus tool means no more searching for the right words.
- Integration with other tools and platforms, such as Google Docs, Microsoft Word, and Slack.
- Choose your level of formality and tone for copy to make your message best resonate with your audience.
- Create summaries of long articles or documents.
It even dips into Grammarly territory with a grammar checker, plagiarism checker, punctuation, and proofreader. You can just pop over to QuillBot and start typing, no sign up or log in needed, no payment required. But to really maximize your QillBot experience, a Premium plan checks in at just under $20/month.
Should You Use an AI Writing Tool?
A smart business owner or copywriter can use AI tools to their advantage by leveraging the technology:
- Generate ideas and content outlines
- Write first drafts
- Improve and enhance writing quality
- Save time
- Stay up-to-date with the latest trends
These AI copywriting tools are set to change the way we approach content creation. Whether you’re a marketer, business owner, or just someone looking to improve your writing skills, these tools are a must-have to, frankly, make your life easier.
The AI landscape is rapidly evolving, so be sure to do your own research and evaluate the best tool based on your specific needs and use case.
Full disclosure – parts of this blog were written using an AI tool (ChatGPT, if you must know). But we didn’t just blindly copy the output. We used it as a foundation and edit the copy to make it more effective, more engaging, and less robotic. So yes, we use them as a tool at Copy Ninjas.
And that’s the caution we will leave with you.
You will need to edit the output to make it meet your goals – whether that’s to convert, engage, educate, or promote. That’s where the Copy Ninjas team comes in. We will take your AI generated output and edit it to have a real impact (and keep your out of Google AI jail!). Lock in your free 7-day trial and let the Ninjas work their magic.